generic for PROZAC
Fluoxetine Hydrochloride Warnings
Antidepressant medications are used to treat a variety of conditions, including depression and other mental/mood disorders. These medications can help prevent suicidal thoughts/attempts and provide other important benefits. However, studies have shown that a small number of people (especially people younger than 25) who take antidepressants for any condition may experience worsening depression, other mental/mood symptoms, or suicidal thoughts/attempts. Therefore, it is very important to talk with the doctor about the risks and benefits of antidepressant medication (especially for people younger than 25), even if treatment is not for a mental/mood condition. Tell the doctor right away if you notice worsening depression/other psychiatric conditions, unusual behavior changes (including possible suicidal thoughts/attempts), or other mental/mood changes (including new/worsening anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, irritability, hostile/angry feelings, impulsive actions, severe restlessness, very rapid speech). Be especially watchful for these symptoms when a new antidepressant is started or when the dose is changed.
- May cause drowsiness. Alcohol and marijuana may intensify this effect. Use care when operating a vehicle, vessel (e.g., boat), or machinery.
- May cause dizziness
- Call your doctor immediately if you have mental/mood changes like confusion, new/worsening feelings of sadness/fear, thoughts of suicide, or unusual behavior.
- Patients regularly using NSAIDs (e.g. ibuprofen) and this drug may be at a greater risk for stomach bleeding and should consult their physician.
- Use during the 3rd trimester of pregnancy may cause serious health problems or withdrawal symptoms in the newborn. Discuss with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Consult your doctor or pharmacist before breastfeeding.
- It is very important that you take or use this exactly as directed. Do not skip doses or discontinue unless directed by your doctor.
- Read the boxed warning information for this medication.
- CAN CAUSE COLIC, IRRITABILITY, FEEDING AND SLEEP DISORDERS, SLOW WEIGHT GAIN
- Transplacental transfer has been reported. Insufficient human data available on developmental toxicity risk. Neonates exposed during the third trimester can experience pulmonary hypertension, respiratory depression and feeding difficulties.